Monday, September 26, 2011

Thread Bowl

I found an easy way to make a cute decorative bowl from elisabeth andree.  All you need is thread! (Assuming that you have flour, sugar, and water at your convenience).  Her bowl looks like this:


colorful squigglies!

However, I decided to make a striped pattern by putting plastic wrap on a flared lipped bowl, and covering it with gluey thread.
looks like a hat...

original + new

After a day of drying, I carefully removed the plastic wrap from the bowl and it easily came off the hardened thread.  If I get around to it, I could technically do the same thing and make a straw hat....

Recipe for the paste: 
Mix 1/4 cup flour and 1 cup of cold water in a bowl.  Boil 1 cup of water and add the flour/cold water mixture.  Bring to boil again.  Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon of sugar.  Let cool for about half an hour.  

Then just dip your thread into the paste and wrap around your plastic-wrapped bowl!

I think I'm gonna stick (pun intended?) with the squiggly pattern next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment