Thursday, December 8, 2011

Experimental Protein Bar

I'm a huge fan of Lara bars and KIND bars ("ingredients you can see and pronounce") because they only use a few ingredients and are naturally sweetened...however, they don't have much protein.
So my goal was to make a homemade protein bar.  I looked up some recipes online (a good dozen or so).  I wasn't finding anything I wanted; recipes either used ingredients I didn't have or they used recipes that didn't include enough of what I had.

Thus, I ignored everything.  Time to experiment.

Requirements:
super healthy, include protein powder, exclude any sugary syrup (including honey or agave), and of course, super tasty!


 I started off thinking I would use these ingredients...

Figs = natural sweetener

Okay this next step looks disgusting...I mixed an egg white with peanut butter and microwaved it for 30 seconds. This cooked the egg white a little too much. I'd probably do 15 seconds PB, add egg white, then 15 more seconds.

Mmmm....not.

Add some sweetener and tangy flavor.

Figs + cranberries

Hammertime with almonds.

The ingredients I ended up using.
(not pictured, PB)

Mix, mix, mix.


Flatten in container.


Refrigerate overnight.


Mmmm....yes.

I had half of this for breakfast this morning.  The consistency was sticky enough to hold together, it was filling, and it tasted pretty damn good.  I was trying to think of ways to make it better...for other people's taste buds.  It may not be sweet enough for others? 
It's fine for me though, and met all of my requirements.  

Recipe. But also add 3 tbsp of apple sauce!
Nutritional Breakdown (serves 2):
          Calories: 330
          Protein: 22g



No comments:

Post a Comment