Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pouring Paint Art...yikes?

It was recently my very good, old friend's birthday.  "Old" as in "earliest", not as an adjective to describe her.  She showed this awesome painting video to me and so I decided to replicate it as a birthday gift for her. 

First bought a wooden jewelry box (3D triangle?) and little wooden add-ons.

Gallons of paint!

Glued the circle on top of the box and painted everything black.

Let the pouring begin!

It's like a trippy paint waterfall!



Ta-da!

After this I stopped, although I wanted to keep going since it was pretty fun to pour paint and watch it.  
I wasn't quite sure what would happen....
Would gravity keep pulling the paint until nothing was left?
Would it miraculously know that I wanted it to just STOP after my last pour?

I don't know. 
I just left it the corner of our living room for a few days to dry....


This is what I came back to...

:(

It looks like molten lava poo.


Needless to say, I was upset.  
What started off as a fun, colorful project ended up looking like every color puked all over the other colors.

Was I to throw away my less-than-expected project??

Nahh. That option's for quitters.
I quickly tried thinking of ways to revamp it.  
Something needed to stand out against the darkness.

And so I went over the box with silver quotes.
They're about friendship.  Call me cheesy, go ahead.
  




My friend and I have written quotes/lyrics on other items before (aka denim jeans) so it fit a previous theme.


Glued the flower on the inside.

Then decorated with some pearl stickers.


I placed pictures of the process in the box so that my friend could see the before and after.
I kinda like the new, vintage-y, dark, lava look.


Note: Do NOT use tempura paint if recreating this.  
If I ever obtain enough acrylic paint I'm going to redo this.

No comments:

Post a Comment